Did you know that our electric vehicle (EV) has arrived? The OEC employees have all enjoyed turns taking out our new ride for a spin.
Our Energy Efficiency & Solutions Specialist, Daniel Lofland, has been recording his observations while driving the EV and we want to share those with you!
Daniel recently took the EV out for a drive from Norman to Harrah, here are some of his thoughts about the efficiency of the vehicle:
“I began my drive with the air on, in heat mode, but the temperature was not very high. The car said I had 173 miles left on the battery. As I began to drive further, that number seemed to be accurate. I started to get warm, so I turned the air to A/C, and nothing changed as far as miles left. After a few miles, I cooled off and decided to turn the air off. When I did that, the miles left on the battery increased by 20 miles. I was impressed!”
You may be thinking “Why would I buy an electric car?” and here are some of the benefits:
Electric cars use far less energy than gasoline-powered cars, and generally cost about one-third as much as a gas-powered car to run. Electric cars also have lower maintenance costs, say goodbye to oil changes! Running on electricity in most regions of the country costs significantly less than using gasoline.
In the state of Oklahoma, it costs only 86 cents to fuel an electric car, in comparison to the $2.72 is takes to fuel a gas-line-powered car. There are even more opportunities to save a few dollars when it comes to electric vehicles. For instance, you can take advantage of lower off-peak charging rates when it is time to charge your electric vehicle.
- EVs produce no tailpipe emissions and have lower lifecycle emissions than gasoline powered vehicles.
- EVs are quiet due to lack of engine noise, as compared to a gas-powered vehicle.
- EVs generally have lower maintenance and fuel costs, reducing the total cost of ownership.
- EVs don’t rely on petroleum and electricity prices are more stable than gasoline. There is minimal fluctuation on electricity prices.
- Charging at home is convenient.
- When combined with a home solar system, “fuel” costs can be eliminated.
If you are considering purchasing an EV in the future, please reach out to Daniel at [email protected] and he would be happy to provide you with any additional information.